Monday, June 27, 2011

Let's Vote

Where did you sleep last night From Nirvana Unplugged in New York or In the Pines is a song that constantly comes and goes in my head. The song is a Leadbelly Original, but has become a rock n' roll/ Bluegrass/ Folk standard from the first time the notes vibrated from within the acoustic body of Leadbelly's guitar.

Naturally, the first time I heard it was the Nirvana version and it has also been a classic version ever since. Typically if I'm not humming or screeching the Nirvana version I'm singing a Bluegrass version performed by the Sheriff of Good Times and the rest of those attending his weekly jam.

Whelp, Put her to a vote and I want to see some good Chatter on this one.

Latro!



3 comments:

  1. I don't know if it's my nostalgia for this album or my affinity for pea green cardigans, but for me it doesn't get better than the Nirvana version. The Leadbelly recording is classic and cool, but there's something strangely satisfying about the paradox of these old blues lyrics screeched in perfectly despondent grunge fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree CK. I think Kurt Cobain really transmitted the anger the man from the song felt, but he also totally captured the fear that the female in the song was going through. She is so terrified to go home that she would rather sleep in the forest and Shiver the Whole night through then go home to what feels like what could be an epic ass kicking. I also vote Nirvana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Kurt's style is incredible and I really enjoy his version. Vote Nirvana.

    ReplyDelete